Monday, September 15, 2014

Old man Elvis

There are many things in life we ignore and one of these is that everything has a lifecycle. All relationships have a start, a middle and eventually and ending…a goodbye for now.
We experienced another one of these moments last week. Our buddy Elvis joined his friends, Sadie and Dibs, and I’m sure is now drinking from a bottomless bowl of cold water (or a toilet if someone left the lid up). He was a great dog and a loyal companion. I relate the relationship to this guy as one of unconditional love. Elvis was the man in my life, long before Jeremy, the kids or other dogs were around. He was a great dog, a stubborn one at times who would let me know if I wasn’t giving him enough attention, but a great dog. The gentlest of breeds and welcoming to anyone….especially if they had a treat. He handled each of the relocations like a champ and welcomed every adventure. We are all adjusting to our new normal without our old buddy, but it was time. We are thankful for the last year, but on Labor Day I finally accepted the decision I had to make. Jeremy always told me it would be my decision since he was my dog, and trust me, making this decision 35 weeks pregnant was the last thing I wanted to do. But, I also knew I was being selfish not making the decision. Everyone is adapting at their own pace. Maddie asked last week at bedtime if we could get another “Elvis” and I said we would in time. Most likely though, the next one would have a different name. She was okay with that. She and Luke loved the big guy.
Bailey is adjusting to her new normal and overall is doing well. She really has taken to all the extra loving and treats. There has been no shortage of either of those.
So anyway, we will miss the guy who tore through my garbage when he was 2 years old and strung it all over my house….the guy who was so proud of himself when he discovered and “took care of” a rabbits nest in my back yard at the age of 4….. the guy who let Maddie sit on him like a horse…..and the guy who welcomed every one of my family members like long lost friends.

No comments: