Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I am.....and it's keeps going up!

It doesn't take much to make me laugh. Hopefully you can find humor from this comment/situation which happened earlier this week.

Every now and then I find myself saying exactly what's on my mind, without so much as thinking before speaking. I do believe this can get a person in trouble and it probably has from time to time, however, this past Monday I found it to be rather entertaining.

Jeremy and I had a doctor's appointment to hear Baby G. (aka Shimmy) heart beat. Rather exciting again and yes it confirms I'm still pregnant. However, near the end of the appointment we are going over the do's and don'ts of pregnancy such as:

DO:
Drink lots of water
Drink lots of milk (does ice cream count as a logical addition/substitution)
"Graze throughout the day" - lots of little meals
Sleep
Exercise (still jogging with 2 Labs....hopefully I don't trip over them)
Use Hand sanitizer (like it's going out of style)
Use Lotion (after hand sanitizer to keep your hands from getting cracked and dry)
Use hand rails to keep from falling (you become unsteady on your feet)
etc. etc. etc.

DO NOTS:
Drink alcohol
Drink caffeine (which means I can sleep through the day without my kickstart)
Eat cold meat sandwiches
Drink juice
Eat cheese
Eat canned tuna (so much for lent, ha)
Eat fried foods (fries are out)
Eat salty snacks
Do high impact activities
Stay out of altitude (hello - I live in the mile high city.....)

So, as we're going through this list of Do/Do not's I'm trying to figure out just what I can eat/do that won't kill me or the baby, the doctor comes to his next item on the list. The conversation went much like this:

Dr: Now Julie, I need you to watch your weight.
Julie: (without thinking I respond) I am and it keeps going up.....
Dr: Seriously, I see people who gain 60 lbs./pregnancy and you should only gain 15-20.
Julie: Well, I'm 9 lbs. on my way so I'm guessing I may be an overachiever and exceed your chart. (I always wanted to be an overachiever in school so this is my chance)
Dr: Seriously, try to avoid the fried foods, eating out, salty snacks....maybe take you lunch and some healthy snacks. Also, you really need to exercise, not too hard but doing cardio is very important.

- Now by this time I think Jeremy and I were trying not to laugh out loud. We very rarely eat out and we don't every make fried foods. Additionally, we take our lunches to work and mine consists of this......leftovers from night before to reheat and a yogurt. For snacks during the day I have a banana and an apple......I'm also still jogging with the 2 yellow labs, Elvis and Sadie.

So the only way I can change my eating habit is to switch from the healthy meals to the all fast food diet....something I'm considering because I "need to watch my weight" and my first attempt at taking care of myself is causing me to turn into a blimp apparently.

Jeremy and I left this appointment laughing!!! It's one thing to tell someone to watch their weight who is in need of a lifestyle (food/exercise) change, but to tell a pregnant woman who's going to keep packing on the pounds regardless of what they do to "watch your weight" just cracks me up. I'm going to keep watching my weight and also the clothing that doesn't fit when I get dressed in the morning.

*One note Jeremy would like to add is that this doctor obviously has not been "trained" on what to say and what not to say to a pregnant woman....."You look beautiful no matter how much you weigh" is a much better option for a healthy relationship versus "You look like a blimp." Jeremy says it's all in training you learn the do/do nots of a conversation with a prenant wife.

*A second disclaimer, I didn't tell the doctor is I have an obsession with ice cream.....I like it so much I finish mine before Jeremy, a very impressive feat ......I only allow myself to stop once/week at a ice cream shop, but I feel that fits into the "dairy (calcium)" category on my "DO" list from the doctor.....don't you agree?

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Allison said...

15-20 pounds total??? OK, I gained 50 pounds with Benjamin...I'm pretty sure Amy gained 50 with one of her kids too. And you are doing much better than I was as far as eating healthy, still exercising, etc. My non-professional, non-medical opinion is that you are doing great.

Allison said...

I forgot to add, 50 pounds is a lot! I am definitely not recommending a 50 pound weight gain! Not if you can avoid it.

Heather said...

No worries Julie!!! That's standard Dr talk. It's a requirement...no feta or blue cheese and watch your weight. :) You're doing great. I gained 30-40 with the kids and it came off pretty easy, except this time...so just remember that when you have baby #4. Enjoy your ice cream, it sounds like you have it under control and there is no better reason in the world to treat yourself.